Sunday, March 11, 2012

Montana Day 1

I moved away from Montana four years ago.  I’m glad that I did.  It was the right choice and if I hadn’t I would never have met Brett or become so close to my niece and nephew.  But my heart has ached ever since I left.  It’s not very present or very Zen of me, but I'd be lying if I pretended to feel otherwise. 

The minute I stepped off the plane in Missoula (directly onto the tarmac because that’s how it works in Missoula), my eyes filled with tears.  The crisp mountain air, the smell of evergreen mixed with sage, the purple mountains at sunset surrounding me, the laid back vibe of the people coming off the plane… I realize that we should always be happy where we are in life, but there is something about the north.  Something about wood fireplaces that actually get used and basements and 15 sets of snowy boots just inside the garage door and tuques and playing euchre with good friends…

Today my friends Jori and Matt came to Julie’s place in Seeley Lake. They brought their dog Marlow.  We snowshoed up to Double Arrow Lookout… for people who have never lived in the mountains, it’s hard to describe… but there is something calming about being surrounded by vast open sapces and peaks. It makes you realize how small you are and how small life’s problems are.

When we got back, we all chipped in and made an awesome dinner of elk meat and carrot salad and rice and wine and good Montana beer.  We started a fire in the old fireplace and sat around laughing late into the night while the snow outside piled up to the window sill. 

I miss this so much.










No comments:

Post a Comment